Friday, October 5, 2012

Facebook...ugh

So today I'm in a particularly social media-y mood. I go in and out these phases of being inspired to make my mark on the social media world of personal news and opinion. But as much as I'd like to amass some kind of online community with whom I can have conversations, I can never seem to find or make the time to maintain any kind of regular schedule. 

None-the-less, I get these moods every once and a while. And it's funny, because every time I do, I become inspired to get my blog off the ground, to maybe try my had at some YouTube vlogs of some kind, and Twitter becomes incredibly enticing for some reason. Now, the strength of those feelings always varies a bit, but there is one notion that is always seems to remain consistent—especially on these inspired days: I hate Facebook. 

In general, I think it’s pretty safe to say that just about everybody who has a Facebook hates it on some level. And on most days—despite the fact that I waste probably about an hour a day on Facebook (let’s be honest, many days are much more that that)—I am at the very least annoyed by it. But like every other member of my generation, I still upload my pictures, update my status, message people about other people, and yes, despite how much I despise my News Feed being cluttered with requests and score updates, I even play the occasional game or two. In many respects, Facebook has become so integrated into the way our virtual world works that, I feel, that everyone feels obligated to use it whether it’s because they see it literally everywhere or simply because “everyone else is doing it.” 

I was going to get into how Facebook was “better in the early days,” but you know, we’ve all heard that argument dozens of times. So I’m not even going to approach that horse. But what I will say is that Facebook seems to have turned into a magnet of negativity. I would go as far as to say that 60-90% of the posts on my News Feed at any given time are all to the tune of bitching about something. Some are political, others are work-related, and some are just straight-up complaints about how tired they are feeling at that particular moment. Now don’t get me wrong, I will be the first to admit that I have been guilty of every single one of those—and more! But putting those posts on Facebook (or any social media service, for that matter) never made me feel better, and why should I force my moments of negativity on my friends (because, after all, it is only our “friends” that we have on our Facebook, right?)? So I have recently adopted the simple, tried and true philosophy that if I don’t have anything good or beneficial to say, then I won’t say anything at all. Unfortunately, that refuses to be the case for the majority of posters on my News Feed—and I know I’m not alone! 

Ok, so how is Twitter any different? It is definitely true that Twitter can lend itself quite easily to the complaints of day-to-day life that I was just talking about. That being said, Twitter also has the ability to give you what you want out of it. Unlike Facebook, you aren’t obligated to be “friends” with people you know in real life. Instead you follow the people who post things that align with your interests. And while Twitter easily allows for meaningless posts, it—by nature—is also just as good for sharing information in a very simple and concise way. Its character limit on posts simply doesn’t allow for any bullshit. Being a man of opinion, I love discussion, debate, and the sharing of new information. While Facebook has proven to be little more than a closed circuit of the same people who aren’t contributing anything to the virtual world other than taking up space—myself included, other social networks like Twitter and YouTube and the blogosphere provide a potential medium for real sharing to take place far beyond the reach of my “friends” on Facebook. To say that I find the kind of discussion and debate on such a relatively grand scale attractive would be a bit of an understatement—especially today in this mood that I’m in. 

I have, by no means exhausted everything I could say about this topic, but I am going to wrap this up with one final thought. In fact, I'm going to flat-out make a prediction that, in about 5 or so years, Facebook will not exist in all its glory of today. I am certain it will still be around, but I feel that, already, people are leaving Facebook for other options. Overall, Facebook is still gaining members, for sure! As of just this week, Facebook has broken the 1 billion mark of monthly active users. But I guarantee this won't last forever. With the current "business agenda" that Facebook has adopted as well as all of the negative "privacy" issues that are also involved, that number will plateau (and decline) fairly soon. But we will just have to wait and see for sure!

I am curious what you think about it, though. So if you find yourself bored and looking for something to take up some of your over-abundant free time, feel free to start and/or join the discussion! After all, that is the true power of social media!

5 comments:

  1. I think facebook gets a bad rap on a lot of these counts when it really is a simple fix.

    1) Don't let it consume your life. Get on, poke around for a bit and get off. There's no reason to be on for hours a day.

    2) Sculpt it to be a network of people that you actually want to hear from. We all have "friends" who constantly post bitchy status updates, ducky-lips mirror pics, or by-the-minute updates on which pair of socks they decided to go with today, but it doesn't have to be that way. Just start unsubscribing from those people. You can still look up their profile if you really want to know what they're up to but you won't be constantly annoyed by those posts filling up your news feed. I wouldn't say my news feed is anywhere near 60-90% negative or annoying posts. Just like on twitter, you don't have to "follow" everyone on facebook. Once you take advantage of that, facebook becomes a much more enjoyable place.

    My only complaint about twitter is that it looks so cluttered, and being a very visual person that's a big turn off for me. All the #s and @s and poorly formatted RTs are an eyesore, not to mention all the terrible spelling and abbreviations that stem from the character limit and really grind my gears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely have a point(s) there. But I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm no longer getting anything out of just "poking around" on Facebook. And during the school year, it's definitely true I don't spend as much time on Facebook as less busy times of the year (I wrote the majority of this post during the summer break).

      And as far as unsubscribing friends goes, I most definitely have done so. But the thing is, then the News Feed gets pretty stale pretty quick, and there isn't anything really substantial happening there. I mean, sure, I'm getting new pics/updates from the friends that I really care about. But that's it.

      What I like about Twitter, is that I have a constant stream of meaningful information coming in, and not only that, they are all quick, concise, and easy to skim. I follow a lot of news accounts, so it's nice to be able to skim over the stories I am not particularly interested in at the moment and just pick out the ones that jump out and grab my attention. I can say that I am actually learning things on a daily basis from the posts on Twitter; I can't tell you the last time I learned something meaningful from Facebook.

      And I will also agree that Twitter can seem cluttered looking. There is definitely a learned skill to tweeting! And I don't think that abbreviations count towards that "skill" at all. People who are still consistently tweeting like that have yet to acquire the skill. Haha. But yeah, the @s and #s can be a bit of an adjustment. For me, it's an acceptable trade off for what I ultimately can get out of it. I must admit, though, I have had my Twitter account since high school, and it has taken me until this summer to really get into it. So I can understand your misgivings and hesitation towards it! It definitely isn't for everyone, either. If you are not looking for/in need of a change of social media, then why change? Like they say, "If it isn't broke...."

      Delete
  2. Although I will admit that twitter is growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy Twitter a lot more than I do Facebook. It may seem cluttered but I would say that I receive so much more from Twitter than I do fb. I keep up-to-date on breaking news, gossip, and the day-to-day drama with friends. I think it is easier to avoid the bullshit of bitchy moods through Twitter. Matt makes an excellent point though that we have the ability to filter our News Feed for fb.

    I would say that Twitter has the connotation of being the cult of social media. The "following"s you create and the constant updates make it seem that way. Yet, I would say that fb users act more like they are a part of a cult with the amount of time they spend on the site. Fb, to me, is currently more ingrained in our generation currently but our generation is rather fickle. First, we started with myspace, AOL, and MSN messenger accounts. And they were a long-term fade. Fb and Twitter will turn into the next failed social media when the next best thing comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any idea as to what that "next best thing" will be? I'm honestly holding on hope for G+ to take on some of the power. For me, it is the perfect combination of what is great about Facebook and Twitter individually. It's only problem (and it's a biggie) is that no one is on it. And even though the medium is amazing, if the content isn't there, then it just sucks! But still, I've got my fingers crossed! Haha.

      Delete